Friday, April 10, 2015

Week 4 Reflection- performance and practice


I would have practiced trumpet much more consistently as a middle school student if the technology that exists now were available then.  The software and online resources available to music education now are so versatile and beneficial to students and teachers.  I have always planned to get SmartMusic "eventually" and have even attended several GMEA seminars about it through the years.  Getting a subscription to it has just moved to the top of my priority list for next school year.  

I was able to relate most closely this week to the topic of recording rehearsals and performances.  I have found this to be one of the most important tools for my students and myself, in both improving our ensemble awareness, and preparing for concerts. When approaching a performance, I typically record each piece or a run of the program two to three times a week.  This allows us to hear our development and improvement on each piece.  It also gives me the chance to listen closely for areas we need to perfect.  I make detailed lists of these specific spots and address each of them at the next rehearsal.  Sometimes these are simple things for students to mark in their parts and don’t require any rehearsal time.  Other times we have to dig deeper into the areas of weakness and spend more significant time working sections of the music.

To get the most accurate and helpful representation of how the band sounds it is crucial to get the best quality recording for the environment.  Since we rehearse most often in the band room, I have to consider levels, EQ, reverb, and mic placements to ensure that I will hear all the parts accurately and authentically.  I have a small 4-channel Presonus Audiobox with USB input so it’s easy to plug in my laptop and use any audio recording software or DAW.  I use Garageband because I’m most familiar with it and it’s convenient to navigate multi-track recording and levels.  I have one centered overhead condenser mic and three directional condenser mics mounted on the front wall of the room close to the ceiling.  Recording with each mic on its own mono track allows me to balance the band, and sometimes mute or solo tracks to hear things I would not usually hear from the podium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment